Website loading speed is one of the main indicators of its performance. First, search engines take this parameter into account when ranking in the SERP. Secondly, it is important in order not to lose visitors. For ease of use, the site needs to load in less than 2 seconds. The faster the download, the better.
To check the speed of the site, you can use one of the following methods:
1. Developer Console in the browser. For example, to launch the console in Chrome or Firefox, press F12. Then in the console go to the Network tab and in the address bar of the browser enter the address of the site that you want to analyze. After that, the speed of site loading and its individual elements will be displayed in the console window.
2. Special utilities for Linux OS. For example, to check the website loading speed, enter the command:
time wget -O /dev/null http://your.domain.com
where your.domain.com is your website address.
Website optimization recommendations
- Consider the features of the CMS. Each system has features that need to be considered when developing a website.
- Use the latest PHP version. For example, version 7.1 allows PHP OPCACHE. This accelerator significantly improves code loading speed and performance of PHP applications.
- Use plugins to cache and clean up unnecessary database entries.
- Combine CSS files into one file (similarly to JS files).
- In order for the site to visually load faster, place CSS in the site header, and JS at the bottom of the page.
If you still have questions, please create a ticket to technical support.